Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Squirrel thieves

I had the luxury of growing up with fresh vegetables every summer since my parents have always had a garden. My Grandma and Grandpa Jernigan had a garden on their farm bigger than most backyards. Now that I'm a city girl, I decided to try my hand in a little "city gardening". I started small, just 2 porch tomato plants on our back deck. With all of the rain that we've had, the plants had grown so large that I considered transplanting them into the ground. At last count, I had EIGHT lovely tomatoes that were getting ready to turn red. That was until yesterday. Jeff called me at work and told me that while he was home yesterday for a bit, he let Annie out and decided to check on my beloved plants. Apparently squirrels like unrippened tomatoes and the little bandits made off with 6 of them. While I am irritated, I kind of have to laugh at the thought of a tiny squirrel hopping on our deck, plucking the tomatoes from the vines and dashing off through the yard with a tomato half their size in their itsy bitsy mouth. I hope that my rodent neighbors will be merciful and spare me the last 2. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

2 comments:

Brianne Dobson said...

Love the picture. I'm proud of you that you are acutally growing things. Mya wants to have a garden so bad. We have attempted one several times and she always asks me "mom why did you let my plants die?" I am traumatizing my daughter because I can't keep her beloved plants alive!

McGeeFamily said...

hi mel! i love reading your blog and getting updates on your life. your house looks awesome and i hope your garden works out!