Thursday, August 14, 2008

Should've bought stock in Babies R' Us

Given that Jeff and I are right on the edge of 30, it makes sense that every time we turn around, another friend is announcing that they are pregnant. Or we are going to a christening. Or a baby shower. Or a 1st birthday party. Or a 2nd birthday party…..you get the picture. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of these kids and its especially exciting when one of our close friends announces a pregnancy because its like getting a little niece or nephew. Even though all of our friends are in the prime child bearing years, it never ceases to amaze me when I find out that a friend is pregnant. I can’t seem to wrap my head around that whole “a child is growing inside of you” concept. Its crazy, strange, and absolutely unbelievable. If and when we are blessed to have a little one, I will probably be in a state of shock for at least a week (or 9 months) just trying to absorb the responsibility of having to sustain a life.

With all that being said, back to the subject at hand – babies/toddlers are flippin’ expensive! I spent my lunch break yesterday at Babies R’ Us, which should never be confused with a Toys’ R Us that has a baby section. Babies R’ Us is a whole different ball game. I lose all sense of spending self control in there. I cannot simply walk in and walk out with something off of a registry or the gift that I already had in mind. I have to throw in an extra pack of environmentally friendly diapers or stretch mark cream for a pregnant friend or a pack of Lightening McQueen “big boy” underwear for a potty training toddler. Does the unborn child of my best friend need a Halloween sleeper that says “Little Monster” on it? Nope, probably not. Did I go ahead and buy it anyway? Yes, because it’s that dang cute.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi Mel! Remember me, Brianne's friend. I just read your comment on my blog and found your blog! I love it! I can completely agree with wishing I had bought stock in Babies R Us. Everything is so cute that I kinda go overboard with gifts also. Have you seen the "I'm Stuffed" thanksgiving turkey onesies. I'm a sucker for that. Love your blog and I'll keep checking in!