Thursday, January 7, 2010

New year, new us

I'm a blog slacker. Again. I have a legit excuse this time but the story is far too long to tell right now. In a nutshell, Bubs got incredibly sick on Dec 12th and put the fear of God in us. Our perspective on parenthood has changed forever. As if we weren't thankful for him before, we truly believe he is our miracle now. But more about that ordeal later. I started blogging about the story last week and still need to finish it up.

As for our holidays, we were so happy to spend them at home since we were told originally that we wouldn't be out of the hospital at that point. Christmas Eve night we were home and we woke Christmas Day to the first snow of the season. It was perfect and magical. Sounds silly but it felt like we had finally woke up from a nightmare. Jeff's family came over late afternoon for presents and dinner and then my family arrived from Springfield around 7 that night. It was so relaxing and cozy to just stay put.

New Years Eve was also pretty uneventful. The night before (New Years Eve Eve I guess), we had Mike, Beth and Garrett over for veal spedini and lots of red wine. We needed a few drinks. Jeff had a few too many and had to head to bed early while Mike, Beth and I stayed up and talked. We are so fortunate to have friends like them. New Years Eve was Mizzou game day. We put Cal in his new Mizzou outfit that the Brights got him and headed over to the Davis'. I'm so happy that most of our friends have children now because I really can't imagine leaving Cal anywhere at this point except with our parents. We had to cut out early though because it was treatment time at 7pm. Jeff and I were both in bed by 10:30. Glorious.

New Years Day was the annual Puerto Rican New Years party at the Hoevels. Yes, there was genuine Puerto Rican representation from dear Maria. But, no, this is not a real holiday. Totally made up and just another excuse to get together. The treatment traveled with us this time so we wouldn't have to leave so early but we did cut out right about the time the kidless folks started to show up.

Overall, it was nice. We still got to eat lots of food and spend time with most of the people we loved. I was sad not to spend Cal's first Christmas Eve in Springfield with Grandma since that is what I've done for the last 30 years. Grandma and I talked about it and she was sad too but cared most that Cal was getting well.

So 2009 was a mixed bag of blessings and heartbreak. Jeff and I both hit our 30s, became parents and realigned our priorities. Aunt Kay got sick but then she got well. We are as close to our families and each other as we have ever been. I'd say we are pretty lucky.


6 month professional pics at home
Mimi and Papa

Grandma & Grandpa and Aunt Lisa

No comments: